Solutions for the Lack of Time to Exercise:
- Prepare exercise clothes the night before and keep in your bag, by the door or in your car everyday for easy access.
- Exercise during commercial breaks, while watching TV.
- Exercise on the floor while supervising your children at play and or completing homework. You can perform squats, lunges and sit-ups while providing a positive example of how important it is to make exercise a priority.
- Exercise while waiting for the microwave to bing. Perform squats or sit-ups and see how many you can complete before your food is ready. You will be shocked at how much you can strengthen and challenge your muscles in a few short minutes.
- Exercise while waiting for the train or bus to arrive. Squats and lunges are a great way to pass the wait time and they will keep you warm in cold weather.
- Exercise during part of your lunch break. Spend 15 - 30 min of your lunch break walking up & down the stairs of your office building.
- Exercise while you read/study. Hold the plank or a wall squat as you read. See how long you can hold the exercise (i.e. how many words, paragraphs or pages can you read before you must stop and rest.) Plus, exercise increases energy and will help keep you alert during long study sessions.
- Practice the 10-Minute Rule: complete at least 10 minutes of physical activity each day. Every little bit counts and it is a great way to form the exercise habit.
- Remember there is absolutely nothing selfish about making your health and fitness a priority. No one in your life that loves you would prefer you cut back on your health care in order to have their dinner on the table on time. You must take care of yourself, to be able to help anyone else.
Once you make scheduling daily exercise a priority, you will be amazed at how many solutions you can create.